Single check script to monitor multiple processes

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri May 2 16:07:59 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I had an idea of something I wanted to do based on experience of using
another system management tool. I thought of using one script to monitor
multiple important processes rather than having individual checks.

For instance, if I have a server that runs an mta, dns, radius and a web
server my critical processes might be sendmail, named, radiusd and httpd.
The check could look for the presence of all important processes and report
if one or more were not running, perhaps returning a list of the failed ones
in a message.

Thinking that this might have been done before I started to look through the
plugins but cannot find anything that seems to do this.

Is this because such a thing doesn't exist?

Is this because its an especially bad idea with Nagios?

I can see why one wouldn't want to do this as, for instance, individual
checks allow actions to be taken for different processes. However, it seems
more efficient to check whether a group of processes is not working rather
than putting in place individual checks.

Jim