Cisco 2600 router and Telnet

Matthias Cramer cramer at dolphins.ch
Fri May 2 08:05:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003 20:29:49 -0500
"Marc Powell" <mpowell at ena.com> wrote:

> Cisco's have a limited number of VTY's available for interactive network
> sessions (5 I think). It seems to me that the router is waiting for the
> connection that Nagios is making to result in an actual login and not
> timing out properly if it doesn't. This isn't a Nagios specific issue as
> I'll bet that if you repeatedly telnet'd to the port and immediately
> dropped the connection a number of times you'd see the same behavior. If
> it were me I would either a) look at upgrading the current running IOS
> on that router to see if that corrected the issue or b) not do telnet
> checks as a telnet failure on a Cisco router is an exceedingly rare
> occurrence that doesn't usually affect any other services the router is
> providing.

or solution c) write your own telnet check plugin in perl with Net::Telnet::Cisco,
this way you even can check authentication ....

Best regards

  Matthias

--
     _;\_    Matthias Cramer                System & Network Manager
    /_.  \   Dolphins Network Systems AG    Phone +41-1-847'45'45
 -'^`-   \;  CH-8112 Otelfingen             http://www.dolphins.ch/