Cisco 2600 router and Telnet

Fri May 2 05:54:36 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:08:26AM +0800, Brad Dunn wrote:
> Just so we all don't get into a "Why on Earth do u worry about Telnet on a
> 2600 router", Telnet is extreamly important for some scripted tools and
> things, but in a nut shell it needs to work. I imagine there are places even
> where manual ACL updates happen every day, and if telnet dies, and your
> router is like interstate or something, it might cause some problems :D.

Thanks for explaining the need for Telnet on a router.

<dumb_suggestion>

Would a terminal server (eg the Linux Cyclades model) with a console
connection to the router be an improvement (maybe with a modem on the
TS).

Probably not because it would break your automated tools.

</dumb_suggestion>

I have neever seen Telnet fail on a Cisco router (provided the router is
reachable).

Does the router log any messages about the failure ?

Would torture testing it with Expect or Net::Telnet be a way of getting
more info on the failure ?

debug tcp on the router etc ?

Do protocol traces (have tcpdump writing to file and capturing all the
router telnet traffic) show any abnormalities ?

The only thing to fail in Telnet is option negotiation.

What are you using to check Telnet ? check_tcp -H -p 23 ?

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.