Host Dependancy

Bill Thompson Billt at Mahagonny.com
Thu May 1 22:05:46 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm having an issue with host dependencies. I have set-up a test system
running an FTP server behind a switch. I have set-up monitoring for the
switch and the server, and then created a service dependency for the FTP
service and a host dependency for the server itself. If the switch is down
notifications for the FTP system are suppressed, but checks are allowed
through (I want them to show as down on the status page).

However when I shut down the switch the service notification is
suppressed, but the host notification goes through. It is also interesting
to note that the host notification always comes through before
notification of the switch being down. This leads me to believe that the
host for the FTP server is simply timing out before the switch, but I
can't seem to adjust the polling time to make sure that the switch is
queued before the FTP host.

Has anyone run into this before? Please tell me I am missing something
obvious.

--
BillT at Mahagonny.com - PGP KeyID#: 0xFB966670