check_snmp and timeout]

Thu May 1 02:27:20 CEST 2003

Dear Gentlemen,

FWIW, the bug Mr Ghosh cites (vi) is in the handling of the timeout of
the plugin (what it returns after a timeout) and not the fact that it
deosn't seem to timeout at all (Mr Wagluns report).

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:51:32AM -0400, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> This is a bug -
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=683235&group_id=29880&atid=397597
>
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Fredrik Wänglund wrote:
>

> > OK, 10.20.30.40 is a non-existing host just to show how it looks when
> > check_snmp times out.
> > What I wanted to show was that regardless of whether i have '-t 30' or
> > not the plugin exits
> > after 6 seconds with the message;
> >
> > SNMP problem - No data recieved from host
> > CMD: /usr/bin/snmpget -m NONE -v 1 -c abc 10.20.30.40:161  1.2
> >
> > If the CMD:... is the complete commandline the plugin calls, then it
> > look like
> > the timeoutvalue is simply ignored by the plugin.

No, The timevalue is not passed to snmpget on the commandline.

The timeout is handled by a wrapper function (popen.c/spopen()) that
thereby allows uniform timeout handling for any program (whether or not
that program supports timeouts).

I am suprised it is broken, if that is the case.

> > /FredrikW

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.