Notifications won't notify

Allen Firstenberg prisoner at addventure.com
Sun Mar 30 17:51:32 CEST 2003

I'm having a problem with a test installation that, quite honestly,
has me completely stumped and feeling stupid.  This was working
a couple of days ago, and I went to test some changes I'm planning for our
production system.  I deleted all the files in var to clear out old state that
I wanted to make sure didn't mess up my tests.  The current configuration is
at the bottom of this message.

Since the changes, the system no longer triggers a notification.  Not that it
doesn't _send_out_ notifications, but that it doesn't even seem to trigger
them.  The "notifications" tab in the CGI reports "no notifications have been
reported in the current log file", but the events which should have caused
notifications appear fine.

I'm not even sure where to begin looking for a problem at this point: the test
does get run and the results logged.  Email has gone out in the past, but even
when it hasn't (I did have a bug once), it showed up in the notification log
still.  I get no warnings when I start nagios up.  I _think_ permissions are
all fine, at least they seem to be based on the instructions and FAQ.

Where should I look next?  Any thoughts appreciated.  Once again, thanks for
the help and this excellent program.

The configuration:

This is running under nagios-1.0.  I have omitted some portions which
I don't think woudl help any.  The "check-test" command runs a test program I
have which alternates between "OK", "warning" and "critical" six times an
hour, and appears to be working correctly.  notify-by-email is the stock one.

# Generic service definition template
define service{
	name				service-generic
	active_checks_enabled		1
	passive_checks_enabled		1
	parallelize_check		1
	obsess_over_service		1
	check_freshness			0
	notifications_enabled		1
	event_handler_enabled		1
	flap_detection_enabled		1
	process_perf_data		1
	retain_status_information	1
	retain_nonstatus_information	1

	is_volatile			0
	check_period			24x7
	max_check_attempts		3
	normal_check_interval		3
	retry_check_interval		1

	notification_interval		120
	notification_period		24x7

	register			0
}

define service{
	host_name			testhost
	service_description		test
	notification_interval		0
	normal_check_interval		1
	retry_check_interval		1
	max_check_attempts		1
	use				service-generic
	contact_groups			all-users
	check_command			check-test
}

define contactgroup{
	contactgroup_name	all-users
	alias			All Administrators
	members			prisoner
	}

define contact{
	contact_name			prisoner
	alias				Allen "Prisoner" Firstenberg
	email				prisoner at testhost
	service_notification_period	24x7
	service_notification_options	w,u,c,r
	service_notification_commands	notify-by-email
	host_notification_period	24x7
	host_notification_options	d,u,r
	host_notification_commands	host-notify-by-email
}