check_ping won't timeout

Chris Brown chris at in-motion.net
Fri Mar 28 20:46:21 CET 2003

I have about 100 check_ping commands in my nagios configuration.

When I remove the ethernet cable from one of my hosts that it is trying to
"check_ping",
the nagios system hangs and waits for that ping to timeout.

When I do some investigation, the command it is executing is:
	/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 10.1.1.1
In other words, on RedHat, the -c parameter in ping waits for the count.
How can I modify this command to use -w instead of -c ?
The only thing I can see that I can modify is the check_ping command
parameters, not the command it is actually executing.

Or, how can I make it timeout correctly?

Thank you,
Chris Brown
chris at in-motion.net