NagMIN / Nagios Templates

Fred Reimers FReimers at infosysinc.com
Fri Mar 28 20:14:59 CET 2003

Dan,

I know that there are a number of different ways of doing things in Nagios.  I don't see a need to support all of them.  Part of the problem with administering Nagios is that there's no consistency to the configuration between engineers.  I'm trying to get NagMIN automated to the  point that a Tier1 level support person can make basic changes.  To that end, I'm purposefully simplifying things through enhancement and elimination.

I don't see any need to support templates that are also hosts, contacts or services.  In my opinion, it's confusing at best and adds no value to NagMIN.  This may have eased some configuration burdens in the past when editing the files directly.  I think the Service Group or Port Scan features of NagMIN make more sense.

My eventual goal with NagMIN is to minimize having to manually configure services at all.  It just doesn't scale well.  Like I mentioned earlier, I have one service defined and am

using 15 of 44 templates.  In one instance, I'm monitoring 344 services using PortScan and Service Groups for 72 hosts.

If you need to do embedded service templates like this for special cases, you can still create Nagios configuration files and add them to nagios.cfg.  You can edit them from NagMIN.

Fred