Problem with the status CGIs

Andrew Pollock andrew-netsaint at andrew.net.au
Fri Mar 28 03:09:50 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm having my first foray into Nagios from being a long time NetSaint
user.

I've set it up to use a PostgreSQL database. I have Nagios running as the
user nagios, and Apache running as the user www-data. I have created two
database users, one for the Nagios process and one for the Apache process,
and both can connect to the database with their relevant permissions.

If I go to any of the status CGI's, I get the "Could not read host and
service status information" error back.

Initially, I had an /etc/nagios/cgi.cfg that wasn't readable by the
webserver user, but now everything looks good. This is where it gets
weird.

If, as the webserver user, I run status.cgi by hand (with environment
variables included), it fails in the same way it does in a web browser. If
I run it via strace to try and work out why it's failing, it succeeds.
Makes diagnosis awful hard.

I've also put a check_dummy call into the nagios_check_command for the
time being, so I don't think the FAQ entry on this subject applies to my
problem.

I'm using the Debian packaged version 1.0-7

Andrew