Problems Using NRPE 1.8 with HP-UX 10.20

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Mar 27 19:02:02 CET 2003

It is there, that is simply a typo error on my part....

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kriss [mailto:kriss at fnal.gov]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 12:45 PM
To: C. Bensend
Cc: 'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Problems Using NRPE 1.8 with HP-UX 10.20

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

 > Subhendu,
 >
 > I double-checked the HP-UX system, and there was no instance of tcpd on
 > the computer. I modified the the inetd.conf file to now read as follows:
 >
 > nrpe     stream  tcp	nowait  nagios /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe -c
 > /opt/nrpe/nrpe.cfg --inetd

Doesn't that need to be:

nrpe     stream  tcp  nowait nagios /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe -c

/opt/nrpe/nrpe.cfg --inetd

?  Your original inetd.conf had:

nrpe     stream  tcp  nowait  nagios /usr/sbin/tcpd /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe -c
/opt/nrpe/nrpe.cfg --inetd

You removed the /usr/sbin/tcpd but did not replace it with
/opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe.
I don't know about HPUX from the Solaris inetd.conf man page:

<snip>
DESCRIPTION
     The inetd.conf  file  contains  the  list  of  servers  that
     inetd(1M)  invokes when it receives an Internet request over
     a socket. Each server entry is composed of a single line  of
     the form:

     service-name endpoint-type protocol wait-status uid server-program \
     server-arguments
</snip>

<snip>
     server-program
               Either the pathname of  a  server  program  to  be
               invoked  by  inetd   to perform the requested ser-
               vice, or the value internal if inetd  itself  pro-
               vides the service.

     server-arguments
               If a server must  be  invoked  with  command  line
               arguments,  the  entire  command  line  (including <- ******
               argument 0) must appear in this field (which  con- <- ******
               sists of all remaining words in the entry). If the
               server expects inetd  to pass it  the  address  of
               its peer (for compatibility with 4.2BSD executable
               daemons), then the first argument to  the  command
               should  be  specified  as  `%A'. No more than five
               arguments are allowed in this field.
</snip>

So /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe must appear twice in inetd.conf, once for
server-program
and once as part of server-arguments.

michael

any issue.