Pending Host Check ... Forever

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Thu Mar 27 15:00:21 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 06:28, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Tom DE BLENDE wrote:
>
> > You know what? This looks very much like it is pending. And come to
> > think of it, I did see this before, and that was due to some errors in
> > the config file. Run a "nagios -v nagios.cfg" and see what it returns.
>
> Found the problem -- there was no check_command defined for the host.  I'm
> surprised Nagios wasn't more upset about this.  Interestingly, even running
> nagios -v nagios.cfg did not expose this as a problem.

Not requiring a check_command for a host is a _feature_ IMHO.  I have a
couple of pieces of gear in my network (unmanaged hubs and switches)
that need to be represented in Nagios so that graphs and dependencies
work out correctly.  However, there's no direct way to determine if the
host is up, except by the fact that I can reach hosts through that piece
of gear.  But yes, the infinite "pending" status is annoying.

Jeff