Just installed Nagios 1.0 and suddenly having trouble with authentication

Mark Hennessy mark at cloud9.net
Tue Mar 25 18:39:16 CET 2003

Here's the situation:
Running FreeBSD 4.6.2
Apache 1.3.27 with OpenSSL

Installed Nagios 1.0b5 from source, configured, all working fine.

Today, I installed Nagios 1.0 over the 1.0b5 configuration, and suddenly,
authentication at the cgi level doesn't seem to be working right anymore.

To elaborate:
I checked the permissions of the htaccess and htpasswd/htusers files, they
all check out and are viewable by the user that the web server runs as.

I can do HTTP authentication, and Nagios reflects this by showing the
proper logged in user, but I get the following error right underneath
that (this happens for all of the Nagios cgis, obviously the message is
specific to the Nagios cgi I'm using as an example):

It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for
any of the hosts you requested...
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication
requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.

I tried disabling authentication in cgi.cfg, no change.

All of the nagios paths are the defaults.

I even ran a couple of the .cgi scripts from the commandline with the
appropriate environment settings, and got the same message.

Where can I check next?  I couldn't find any debugging options for cgis in
the documentation, and everything I found in the documentation regarding
authentication appears to be in place properly already.

 Mark P. Hennessy					      mark at cloud9.net