OT: looking for h/w, s/w inventory tracking system

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Mar 25 01:41:26 CET 2003

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an inventory tracking system (and/or
discourage me from considering a particular solution in this realm).

More than just being able to have someone insert values into a web form, I'm
very interested in something which can be scripted (on Solaris, Linux,
Windows) to run local queries then send the results to a central server.
The central server would then be able to create reports based on said data.

Being a Nagiosphile, it would be great if Nagios could be extended to do
this.  I mention this so that I don't hear protests such as, "Well why not
use Nagios?"  I suspect that if this ability were created, the coupling
could easily be quite loose.  For one thing, Nagios plugins return a brief
line of text, which is quite different from, say, 'prtdiag' under Solaris.
Keeping versions of key files might be a plus, too.

A quick browse of Sourceforge and Freshmeat revealed a number of web-based
inventory tracking systems, but there's no sense of any sort of automated
collection of data.  If an admin installs a new package on one host, it
would be nice to have a report which says that it's missing on other hosts.
And being able to limit the report based on certain criteria, such as
hardware (eg, E4500) would be a plus.

Some combination of Perl/PHP/sh/ksh/bash for the majority of the executables
would be a plus, or at least the ability to add extra reports without any
grief.

Suggestions?

jc