Distributed host checks

White, Chad (MED) chad.white at med.ge.com
Mon Mar 24 23:54:34 CET 2003

Hi,
Does anyone have a good strategy for doing distributed host checks?

In my situation, I have a central Nagios server that accepts passive
checks from distributed Nagios servers that are located in other
networks.  There is absolutely no way that the central Nagios server
can directly access the hosts that are monitored by the distributed
servers, not even for ping.

I have service checks working well using NSCA to feed passive service
check results to the central server.  However, I can't come up with a
good way to do host checking in this circumstance.  Obviously I could
use NRPE on my distributed servers to run ping commands, but due to the
fact that I can't pass macros through to an NRPE command, I would need
to define a command for each and every host I monitor.  I would really
like to avoid that if at all possible.

What are some things that other people are using in this situation?
Right now I just have host-checking off, but it would be nice to check
the host and get one notification rather than one for each service on
the host.

Chad White
Systems Administrator
GE Medical Systems - IT