Quick Timeperiod Question

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Mon Mar 24 15:25:32 CET 2003

Hey there,

We have a service which submits passive results back to Nagios via NSCA
and it basically does a DB check which monitors if there has been any
customer traffic in the last XX amount of time, and is set to page if
there has been no traffic, No Traffic USUALLY means that there is a
problem with the software and that it needs a kick in the pants, however
we do acknowledge that betweeen say 4:30 and 6:00 in the morning it's
quite likley that 0 traffic really means 0 transactions.

So I tried to setup a custom time period that would send Notification
during all times EXCEPT between 4:30 am and 6:00 am when we decided it
would be ok not to be notified about situations which more often then
not were false alarms (i.e. 0 traffic but software working fine)

It shoudln't make a difference but the Cal server is set to GMT and the
Nagios Server is set to EST (GMT -5) it is my understanding that the
Nagios server uses it's time to define time and ignores what time the
passive checks come in... I.E.  On Server the passive check is submitted
at 3:00am but since the Nagios server's time is 5:00am due to the time
difference it will use the notification logic for 5:00am not for the GMT
server time that the external server sent the check.

I did the following but I am still getting notified 24x7 by the looks of
my pager and the lack of sleep I have been getting.

Please give me a hand in finding out how I got my logic backwards on this.

# 'cal' timeperiod definition
define timeperiod{
         timeperiod_name cal
         alias           Special Time For Cal Server
         sunday          00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         monday          00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         tuesday         00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         wednesday       00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         thursday        00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         friday          00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         saturday        00:00-04:30,06:00-24:00
         }

#

define service{
         use                             passive-service
         host_name                       calserver.mydomain.com
         service_description             DB-CHECK
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              2
         normal_check_interval           2
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  oncall
         notification_interval           2
         notification_period             cal
         notification_options            u,c,r
         check_command                   not_fresh
         }

--
Chris

reporting any issue.