Check memory & cpu in Unix

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Mar 24 12:18:45 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 01:55, nemir nemiria wrote:
> > You have a few options:
> >
> > 1) nagios-statd will check disk, load, proc, swap, users
> > 2) checks via snmp (and thus check_snmp)
> > 3) custom scripts on each host checked via check_by_ssh
>
> Which options will work without any snmp at all?  I am trying hard to steer clear of snmp for I fear the obvious security flaws inherent in that protocol...?
>

> > I'd opt for #2 or #3 myself.
>
> Does option 1 rely on an underlying snmp layer?   If so,  then option 3 looks like the choice for me.  Does anyone have any example of the sort of scripts that will need to be cobbled together to make a check for disk,  load,  memory, swap, users,  etc?

Just install the plugins on the remote machine, and use check_by_ssh.

NRPE is another option, but I don't know that its security model is a
strict as you want.

Keep in mind that check_by_ssh is not built for performamnce.

Also, for the simplest cases, 'ssh <command to execute> does the same as
check_by_ssh, with one less layer of overhead.

But to check a number of services on one invocation, check_by_ssh can be
used to drop multiple services into the collector for a passive check
that uses only one SSH connection per checked host.

--
Karl