Service Checks Not Executing in a Timely Fashion

Robert S. Galloway securityguy at ikano.com
Fri Mar 21 03:17:18 CET 2003

Hi Everyone,

I've got a strange problem and I have no idea where to go with it. Basically
what is happening is that service checks are being scheduled as configured,
but at random, some checks are not being executed for up to 5 or 6 minutes
past their scheduled time. This is according to the scheduling queue CGI.
The information there is consistent with the information that I get in the
service details.

I've tried to tune the service check scheduling by changing (and even
setting to none) the inter-check-delay-method, and the results are still the
same. It's not the same services or hosts every time, so I don't see any
where to take it there. I have not found any pattern at all to the delay.
There are plenty of available resources to execute the checks, so I don't
think the server is under powered. The service check timeout is set to 30
seconds, so I don't believe that the checks are being started, otherwise
they should be timing out. During the first couple of minutes after
restarting the service everything runs normally, but then thing deteriorate
from there.

Does any one have any thoughts on what I can do to track this down? Here is
my setup information. Please let me know if there's anything I've forgotten
that would help.

The server is a dual proc PIII 700 with 1GB of RAM and a SCSI RAID5 array.
It is running RedHat 8.0 with the latest kernel revision. It is Nagios 1.0
with the 1.30 release version of the plugins. There are 200+ hosts and 300+
service checks (both passive and active).

Thank you,

Robert S. Galloway
Chief Network Security Engineer
IKANO Communications
...the Internet branding company
Official Data Networking Services Provider for the
Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games of 2002
securityguy at ikano.com
801-415-8089