format changes for check_disk and check_load

David Roberts dtrobert at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 21 01:39:31 CET 2003

Hi,
 I'm having problems using Nagios 1.0 with nrpe (1.8) and the check_disk,
check_load plugins.

Recently, I upgraded the plugins from:
check_load (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.4  ----> check_load
(nagios-plugins 1.3.0) 1.6

and
check_disk (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.5  ----> check_disk
(nagios-plugins 1.3.0) 1.7

It seems that the output formats have changed slightly causing my Nagios
monitor to give error
"(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)"

For example,

check_load (1.4)
load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00

check_load (1.6)
OK - load average: 1.56, 1.41, 1.34

check_disk (1.5)
DISK OK - [28117 kB (76%) free on /dev/sda2]

check_disk (1.7)
Unable to read output:
/bin/df -Pk /dev/hda1
/dev/hda1               964500    278548    636956      31%

However, I can run check_nrpe manually from the Nagios monitor system fine
(at least I get the same output as by running it locally).

I think the problem is basically that these newer plugins provide an output
that is too large for the Nagios cgi code to allow. Therefore, 1) is there
some patch/config change for Nagios or nrpe to allow processing this output
or 2) a patch to check_disk/load to provide the smaller formatted output?

Thanks

David Roberts