Network Overview Alert

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Mar 21 00:55:54 CET 2003

You might wish to consider revising your request to be a simple overall
status of green/yellow/red.  I can't imagine anything 'brief' about having,
say, several services across even just a few hosts reported via pager.

For those of us who have experienced spurious (but rare) network problems
which defy the 'parents' directive (through no fault of Nagios, I'm quick to
add), there's nothing quite like getting hundreds/thousands of notifications
by pager, only for the on-call support person to repeatedly delete the pages
after repeatedly receiving a "Memory full" error on said pager, to the point
where turning it off for the duration is the best solution.  I'm not quite
sure how you'd make that 'brief'.

What you propose isn't a *bad* idea, but you might want to refine the scope
a little bit.  For one thing, you might want to consider going behind the
scenes with some simple munging of status.log, something like:

  cat /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log | grep -v ";UP;" | grep -v ";OK;"

and work from there. using cron and your MTA.

Food for thought.

jc