Monitoring Cisco Routers errors?

Forsyth, Austin Austin.Forsyth at Caminus.com
Thu Mar 20 23:03:33 CET 2003

you've missed our point - that counter may have a value that is 0 as seen
through the IOS, relative to the time the router knows that counter was
reset, but the value of the counter is most likely not 0. it doesn't reset
the value to 0 at a counter reset, it resets the time.

check out the values sometime, they aren't absolute.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Lyons [mailto:jlyons30 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 4:00 PM
To: Forsyth, Austin
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] RE:Monitoring Cisco Routers errors?

For the type of devices I'm looking to monitor(cisco routers, w/ gig & fast
e) there should be NO errors. If there's a value other than 0 we've got
problems... :)

  Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
     83710206 packets input, 4235826135 bytes, 0 no buffer
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
     0 watchdog, 67702 multicast
     7032457 packets output, 2132869625 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

 "Forsyth, Austin" <Austin.Forsyth at Caminus.com> wrote:

oh goodness. someone else mentioned the specific OIDs for interface error
counters and how you have to run a trend on those numbers to actually do
something with them.

you may want to look into the way those counters are used. some have an
upper limit of four billion and just keep counting until they roll over. the
cisco IOS interprets the number based on a time delta and then spits out an
error rate. you can't really walk the tree, because the counters aren't
absolute values.