Reloading config - all plugins fail with 127 out of bounds

Forsyth, Austin Austin.Forsyth at Caminus.com
Thu Mar 20 20:06:57 CET 2003

First, let me say Nagios is running quite well with my configuration, but
I've run into a confusing problem - platform is Nagios 1.0, plugins 1.3.0 on
RedHat 7.3.

My hosts check reliably, my services check reliably, soft and hard
conditions come and go as is expected, email notification is solid -

However, every time I change my configuration, either to tweak scheduling or
simply add another service to monitor, after a reload *every* plugin fails
and I'm swamped with email notifications. The reason is "Plugin returned
code 127, out of bounds, make sure the plugin exists..." for all plugins -
ping, hpjd, ftp, telnet, etc.

No, my configuration does not fail the check. Yes, everything returns to
normal if I *kill* the process, restart it and let it run for around 10
minutes or so to straighten out schedules and re-check everything. If I do
not restart, it will not operate.

This error (returned 127 out of bounds) has been mentioned before on this
list in the archives, and most of the people asking about it either forgot
to put the plugins where the system was going to look for them, or didn't
tell the system where to look properly. I haven't found a message from
someone with a perfectly operational system that performs a simple
configuration reload, or stop/start, and then receives the 127 out of bounds
error.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

Austin Forsyth