negate plugin

Nate Allen nallen at humboldtbank.com
Tue Mar 18 02:42:03 CET 2003

Our network folks would like to be paged if an ISDN backup circuit becomes
active, to alert us that something's wrong with the primary (and because the
backup circuit is billed by the minute).  I thought I'd try to use the
negate plugin to alert them when the circuit is 'pingable', instead of when
it isn't.  I understand the negate wrapper is the plugin for that job.

I downloaded and built the negate plugin from the 1.3.0 plugin archive and
put it with my other plugins (which are the 1.2.9 version packaged as part
of the Debian unstable distribution).  However, I can't get it to work.

>From reading through the list, it's my understanding that the 'negate'
plugin wrapper is broken in the version 1.3.0 plugins.  Is there a corrected
version or patch available somewhere?

Here's an example of my output when I try it from the command line.  I'm
using Nagios 1.0, again from Debian's unstable packages.

monitor:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# ./negate ./check_ping -H 11.11.11.11 -w
50,50% -c 90,90% -p 5
./negate: invalid option -- H
negate: Unknown argument - H
Usage:
 negate [-t timeout] <definition of wrapped plugin>
 negate (-h | --help) for detailed help
 negate (-V | --version) for version information

If I put the check command in quotes, as someone else suggested, I get a
different problem:

monitor:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# ./negate "./check_ping -H 11.11.11.11 -w
50,50% -c 90,90% -p 5"
./negate problem - No data recieved from host
CMD: ./check_ping -H 11.11.11.11 -w 50,50% -c 90,90% -p 10 (null)

No data recieved from host?  Am I using the plugin incorrectly, or is it
just bugged?  If it's bugged, is there somewhere I can get a fixed one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nate