check_pop & check_imap

Denis J. O'Toole Denis.OToole at dd.nec.com.au
Thu Mar 13 22:13:55 CET 2003

Hi Folks,

I have just compiled, built and am now testing my first nagios box.

Versions are; Nagios 1.0, Plugins V1.30 on Debian Linux 3.0 (Woody) Kernel 2.4.18

Most things are working fine, except for some checks I am doing for my POP and IMAP test responses.

In services.cfg in have tried using check_imap & check_pop, looked through the checkcommands.cfg to make sure I had the syntax right. However these service checks *always* come back with connection refused.

I have run the equivalent command from CLI as root and as nagios users ( /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_(pop|imap) -H pophost
and get the response, as I should expect :-

POP OK - 0.018 second response time on port 110 [+OK POP3 ...]
IMAP OK - 0.020 second response time on port 143 [* OK [CAPABILITY IMAPREV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN_REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] .....

I have tried using the check via check_tcp. I know it is the same program, but it has a less verbose output, as I thought it may have been a problem.

I hope someone has an idea on what I can try next..

Regards,

Denis J. O'Toole

- "There are 10 types of people in this world.
   Those that understand binary, and those that don't."