Too many notifications / max_check_attempt useless

Rico Gloeckner rico at noris.net
Thu Mar 13 10:26:49 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:11:10AM +0000, Ian Chilton wrote:
> Check out:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/checkscheduling.html
>
> You probably want to use: normal_check_interval and
> retry_check_interval.

Ah. well. These Options are interesting for Services, the OP spoke about
Hosts. But thanks, that Document lists the "offending" Behaviour:

| Host Checks
|
| Unlike service checks, host checks are not scheduled on a regular basis.
| Instead they are run on demand, as Nagios sees a need. This is a common
| question asked by users, so it needs to be clarified.
|
| One instance where Nagios checks the status of a host is when a service
| check results in a non-OK status. Nagios checks the host to decide
| whether or not the host is up, down, or unreachable. If the first host
| check returns a non-OK state, Nagios will keep pounding out checks of
| the host until either (a) the maximum number of host checks (specified
| by the max_attempts option in the host definition) is reached or (b) a
| host check results in an OK state.
|
| Also of note - when Nagios is check the status of a host, it holds off
| on doing anything else (executing new service checks, processing other
| service check results, etc). This can slow things down a bit and cause
| pending service checks to be delayed for a while, but it is necessary to
| determine the status of the host before Nagios can take any further
| action on the service(s) that are having problems.

Personally, i dont find that behaviour that good. I see cases where i do
want the Host to be in a "Soft state" but not delaying other Checks.

Personally, as i mentioned in another mail, i would have expected the
Check to be atleast interleaved in a interval_length interval.

Maybe it would be enough to have a fix amount (3?) of Checks working in
the behaviour as it is now and every subsequent Check works in the
behaviour i meantioned above. Maybe that fix amount should be
configurable.

Ideas?

	-rg