RTFF? re: Very general question on nagios setup (host check vs. services)

Jay West jwest at kwcorp.com
Tue Mar 11 15:22:10 CET 2003

Thanks to all who replied to my query with a link to the FAQ. As I said, I
had already read the FAQ, and had already seen that exact portion, and it
didn't explain what I was looking for, that's why I asked. One of the list
members did actually take the time to explain what I was looking for without
assuming the "ivory tower" mentality and really explain it. As an
instructive example, I'll list his response below as an education (obviously
sorely needed) to the people who so quickly responded with RTFF:

----------------------
check-host-alive (or more specifically the default command for a host check)
isn't called until a service on a target host fails its service check.  As
soon a service check fails, the host is checked via the host check command
(check-host-alive) for the number of times you specify (one right after
another, i.e. no other service checks are performed until the host is
determined up or down).

For example, if you have configured max_check_attempts for 3 on the host
with the failed service, the host will be checked up to 3 times to determine
if it is alive.  If the host check determines the host is alive, the service
check for the failed service continues on the specified intervals until
max_check_attempts are reached for the service or the service becomes
available.  If service max_check_attempts is reached, a service down
notification is sent.  If the host check determines the host is down, a host
down notification is sent and no further service checks are performed.  If
the host is down, you will never be notified about services on the host
being unavailable.

This explanation was NOT in the portion of the FAQ that so many pointed me
to. At least, not as directly. Perhaps it is available in bits and pieces
throughout the FAQ, but one would have to understand the answer to piece it
together. I certainly understand the ire generated by people who post a
simple question that is clearly answered in the FAQ. But I would humbly
suggest that the person who did answer this question off-list is more
responsible for growth in Nagios users than the rest.

Thanks for the help.

---