weird problems with hostgroups/services/inheritance

Florian Thiel thiel at ksan.de
Mon Mar 10 11:11:26 CET 2003

Hi!

For all our local servers I have a setup with explicit host definitions
for each one of them. They all inherit a standard template and services
are specified with multiple entries in the host_name line, if
applicable. This part of the setup works fine.

I have another group of servers spread throughout the city. They are all
similiar, so I have set them up like this.

-One template including all the relevant settings.
-specific host entries containing host_name, Alias and address
-one hostgroup which contains all these hosts
-service entries for these hosts are referenced not through host_name
 but through hostgroup_name

nagios -v CONFFILE gives no errors, it detects all hosts. The Status Map
(2D) is also working correctly all the time. Nearly all the other views
behave strange.

-In the "Tactical Overview" the services appaear as disabled.
-In "Service Details" the services seem to appear only a few minutes after
 I reloaded nagios. Everytime I reload it, they disappear again.
-In "Host Details" they appear only very seldom.
-"Status Summary" shows the hostgroup but most of the time shows "no
 matching hosts/services"
-"Status Grid" is the same

What could that be? May I not have services which only specify
hostgroup_name?

Florian
--
Florian Thiel - Medienzentrum Kassel
Systembetreuung Internet- und Kommunikationstechnik