Statusmap, Internet routers, and blocked PINGs

Robert Galloway securityguy at ikano.com
Mon Mar 10 06:09:40 CET 2003

Use "check_dummy" for your host and service check.

Thanks,

Robert S. Galloway
Chief Network Security Engineer
IKANO Communications
...the Internet branding company
Official Data Networking Services Provider for the
Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games of 2002
securityguy at ikano.com
801-415-8089

From: <df at dune.org>
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:09:28 +0100

>Hello
>
>I am actually testing a few nagios configs for my setup..
>My question mostly concerns routers of the internet.
>
>Some of my ISP's are blocking traceroute/pings on their net,
causing the check_ping utility to fail.

>Here is an exemple of what a ping to those servers return:
>36 bytes from somerouter.someisp.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx):
Communication prohibited by filter
>Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks
Src                  Dst
> 4  5  00 5400 e788   0 0000  34  01 d323 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

>At the moment, i only declare those routers without any default
checks (in hosts.cfg), nor services checks (services.cfg)..
>It results that on my statusmaps, those hosts are shown
RED/FAULTY..
>I also disabled the notification for those hosts so i'm not
anoyed by messages telling me the hosts are down..

>My question is the following, would their be a way to make those
hosts i cannot ping nor access any open ports,
>to be shown as GREEN/OK hosts on my statusmaps ?
>Maybe another plugin that would recognize those messages, and
make the routers status as OK ?