Solaris 8 package available?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Mar 8 07:11:38 CET 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:08:17PM -0400, Cian O'Sullivan wrote:
> I agree to put the stuff in /opt I however dont put stuff in /opt/csw as
> having packages all over can get confusing.

Packages arent "all over". Setting your PATH to include /opt/csw/bin,
gets you use of all normal packages distributed by blastwave.

> Whats wrong with...
>
> /opt/nagios  binaries
> /etc/nagios  configs
> /var/nagios  logs

/usr/local is best viewed as "locally compiled stuff".

By definition, anything compiled by other people is not "locally compiled".
Therefore, people making solaris packages for others, should not put them
in /usr/local.
The Solaris/SysV standard is to put those things under /opt.
Standards are good.

The advantage to blastwave's /opt/csw approach is that if the sysadmin
CHOOSES to, they can either symlink, or lofs-mount, /opt/csw, to be
/usr/local
It then will look like a "normal" default compile.

You can't do that with your suggestion.