sms alert using gnokii

Shane_Seidel at gwf.com.au Shane_Seidel at gwf.com.au
Thu Mar 6 09:00:04 CET 2003

Bernie,

I missed a bit, I believe user nagios should also be a member of the gnokii
group.

Regards
Shane

>>I have SMS working on RH7.3, Nagios 1.0 using Nokia 5110, Gnokii Version
0.3.3, Telstra GSM (Australia)

>>Some key points to remember:- if the gnokii command runs from root ok then su
nagios and try the command. If the command now fails >>permissions are the clue.

>>Make sure nagios can write to the port eg. ttys0 in Red Hat
>>Make sure nagios is a member of the tty group
>>Make sure nagios is a member of the uucp group ( not sure of the correlation
but have found this to be the case with other devices >>connected to the comm
port eg Temp Trax digital thermometer)

>>Lastly here is the command I use, note the +61 (Aust code), no smsc and no
switches I have seen "-C0 2" inserted before >/dev/null but >>this displays the
message on the phone without saving to the inbox
>>command[notify-by-sms]=/usr/bin/printf "$HOSTNAME$ - $SERVICEDESC$ is
$SERVICESTATE$" | /usr/bin/gnokii --sendsms >>+61408XXXXXX >/dev/null

>>Thanks to Pia from Linux Australia for helping me nut this out and good luck!

This email and its attachments are confidential subject to copyright and may be legally privileged. If they have come to
you in error you should take no action based upon the contents nor should you copy or show them to anyone. Please
delete the email and its attachments and inform administrators at gwf.com.au
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of George Weston Foods
Ltd.
Security: Internet email is not a completely secure medium, please note this when considering the content of your message.
Viruses: We take precautions to ensure email is free of viruses but cannot guarantee this. Accordingly we advise
scanning all email and attachments