epager not working

Wed Mar 5 10:10:27 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:13:44PM -0500, Val Vechnyak wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have notifications by pager setup in contacts file.   One epager email is
> name at domain.co.zn and another one is name at domain.com.
>

> name at domain.com works while the other one does not.  I am able to send email
> to that account in New Zealand from my email client, but not from nagios.  I
> was wondering if $CONTACTPAGER$ does not see all the "co.zn"?

if you mean the length limit of the macro is less than the maximum
allowed and therefore your contact address gets truncated, probably not.

eg

tsitc> perl -e 'print length("name\@domain.co.zn"), "\n"'
17
tsitc>

This is well less than one contact email my Nagios has of 33 characters.

I suggest

1 Check your mail log for any record of the attempt to send

2 If there is no record in the mail log, then Nag is failing to nag you
for some reason, otherwise it may report an error.

You can submit passive service check results to get as many emails as
you need (OK -> CRITICAL ad infinitum), or use the check_dummy plugin.

2.1 check that after replacing the macros in the notify command by
values that this command runs from the CLI as the Nag user

Obviously this is poor advice if Nag is sending you _any_ email, as once
I re-read your report, I see you are.

2.2 Temporarily replace, if possible, the binary that Nag is using to
send you mail by one that logs what it does. Maybe cat >>
/tmp/some_file.log

2.3 consider configuring and building a debugging Nag to get some
feedback on what happens when Nag tries to notify you.

> Thank you for your help.
>

> VV

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft