Too many notifications

Bernhard Albler albler-b at chello.at
Sun Mar 2 18:32:15 CET 2003

Hardy Boehm wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
> I installed nagios and so far everything works quite fine.
> I have one Problem though:
> I am monitoring a set of hosts, which are connected to my network via
> a slow connection. These hosts have the anoying habit of sometimes
> timing out on the first try. This always produces an eMail.
>
> How can I set up nagio, so that notifications are ONLY sent out after
> a certain number of tests?

hi,
this is pretty much standard functionality of nagios and is well
described in in the docs:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html
a little cut and paste:
*max_check_attempts*: This directive is used to define the number of
times that Nagios will retry the host check command if it returns any
state other than an OK state. Setting this value to 1 will cause Nagios
to generate an alert without retrying the host check again. Note: If you
do not want to check the status of the host, you must still set this to
a minimum value of 1. To bypass the host check, just leave the
/check_command/ option blank.
--
Bernhard