distributed monitoring - same named hosts?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Jun 30 18:39:21 CEST 2003

That's one way of doing it.  Another way would be to set up
different DNS zones.  Same hostname, different subdomain.
Although I must admit that naming a host based on a primary
function isn't always ideal.  Better off with hostnames
which are more loosely coupled.  Themes work well, like
Disney character names, or Star Trek character names, or
Simpsons character names... you get the idea.

Somewhere there's an RFC which gives recommendations for
naming hosts.

jc