Hosts with no services?

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Fri Jun 27 21:59:14 CEST 2003

Hey,
	Just a thought...  Using check_dummy will not check the host.  In
fact, the host will never get checked because the host check (as defined in
hosts.cfg) is only run if a service check fails.  You would probably be best
off to use check-host-alive as your service check.  This would be fairly
efficient and it would actually check your device's state.

This being said, check-host-alive uses 4 icmp packets as its test.  Defining
another checkcommand that uses check_ping -H blah -c 1 would be faster.

Using something like check_tcp -H blah -p ## on one of the services that you
don't care about would be fast too and potentially more reliable.

My 2 cents...keep the change.

Regards,
dean