How do you test a large configuration?

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Jun 27 18:46:18 CEST 2003

For service checks, one option would be to change the warning /
critical thresholds.  If you're using NRPE, make the changes to
nrpe.cfg on the client and restart the nrpe daemon (or just sit
and wait, if you're kicking it off using (x)inetd).

If you find that the check you're doing turns out to be difficult
to simulate, see if you can't set up the checks on a non-critical
host.  Prove the trivial case there, then extrapolate.

Another option, if you get management blessing, would be to start
an unused service (eg, ftpd if ordinarily you don't use it) and
monitor it.  Get Nagios configured and reloaded, wait for it to
register as OK, then disable it on the client.  If Nagios doesn't
squawk within a reasonable timeframe, there's a problem.

Also consider that at *some* point, you'll need to do either some
reactive maintenance or some preventative maintenance on some host.
Make sure the appropriate checks are in place before you down the
service or host.  If you've done your homework, Nagios should light
up, and inboxes and pagers should be seeing some activity.

If you're using one of the logfile scrubbers, inject a string into
the file that you feel Nagios should alert you on.

HTH.

jc