Possible bug with passive service check result processing in Nag 1.1

Fri Jun 27 04:01:59 CEST 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to report a possible bug or bugs in Nagios-1.1 related to
notification and passive service result processing.

1 Passive service check result processing

. the CRITICAL result causes the status.cgi to be updated but the OK
result does not.

This is is Ok - the web interface goes red

Fri Jun 27 11:21:07 EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;Sir_A1_80;RisingAlarm: alarm threshold
exceeded;2;Failed. Potential or emminent problem (broadcast storm or
congestion ?): monitored value exceeded alarm threshold.

This one is not Ok - the web interfaces stays red

Fri Jun 27 11:25:07 EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;Sir_A1_80;FallingAlarm: below alarm
threshold;0;Ok. Monitored value has fallen below alarm threshold.

2 Notification anomaly

Some checks cause notification others don't. Only a small subset of
checks fail to notify (either for an OK -> CRITICAL or CRITICAL -> OK).

3 Observations

3.1 service configs seem identical (I could use Patricks wonderful tool
[Nagios::Config] to diff the servcie configs but they seem identical)
for services that don't notify to those that do.

3.2 Nagios does _not_ log the NOTIFY event but it does log the HARD
state change

Obviously then there are no MTA failures to deal with.

3.3 With the processe service check result problem, again, some passive
service checks are Ok but at least 3 (of 20) are not.

In particular the trap handler that generates the processe service check
result event is the same for those that update the GUI as those that
doen't and in both cases, Nag logs the PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT
event and fails to complain about its integrity.

3.4 The numbers are

active checks	357
passive checks	28
OS		FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
loadaverage	<= 0.4

I haven't started to debug this other than going back to 1.0 (since this
is a production Nag).

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.