[netsaint] check_nagios weirdness...

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Jun 26 17:56:30 CEST 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, mjn wrote:

> We recently had some issues using a University provided apache
> authentication module which we had been using for Nagios...some changes in
> mm and how are setup was configured. As a result, our Nagios' web
> interface was down for a couple of weeks but once again working and now I
> am seeing a new problem.
>
> Nagios web constantly shows that the process is not running...we had all
> of the CGI's working in the past and `ps-aux|grep nagios' yields:
>
> [09:02:36][root at monolith:/nagios] ps -aux |grep nagios
> nagios    8622  0.0  0.8  2128 1136 ?        S    09:00   0:00 [nagios]

Ah! the kernel patch that changes ps output :)

note the ps output here "[nagios]" indicates it is swapped to disk and the
string does not match the argument to check_nagios.

> Watching 'Service Detail' i see services' 'Last Check' column updating as
> expected and i do receive notices of status changes for services/hosts.
>
> I have checked cgi.conf and here is my active nagios_check_command:
> nagios_check_command=/nagios/libexec/check_nagios /nagios/var/status.log \
> 5 '/nagios/bin/nagios'>
> In running this from the command line, i get:
> Could not locate a running Nagios process!

of course since the string did not match. - modify the last arg to just
"nagios"

> Also: is there any way to change notifications(enable/disable) for a
> host/service if the web interface is not working?

local scripts that write to the external command file.

--

-sg