Hosts with no services?

John Senior js at irishbroadband.ie
Thu Jun 26 14:15:43 CEST 2003

I disagree - I have many many devices on my network that I just need
know are alive with a ping - these devices just provide connectivity,
things
like switches, customer routers etc.  A simple ping is all that's
required,
no more.  I have plenty of hosts with more complex services (web,
mail, dns
etc.) that Nagios fits fine - but sometimes a ping is enough.  I too
am using
fping to provide the kind of info that I would rather integrate into
Nagios.

Regards,

John.

--
John Senior <js at irishbroadband.ie>

Dave
> Blunt
> Sent: 26 June 2003 04:54
> To: 'Carroll, Jim P [Contractor]'; 'Furnish, Trever G'
> Cc: 'Nagios-Users List (E-mail)'
> Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Hosts with no services?
>

> Hi,
>
> I think I agree with Jim.  I guess I don't see why you would care if
> system was up if you didn't care about at least one service - unless
> that 'service' is keeping the room warm.  Why not pull the power
cord
> now?  If you're not responsible for making sure the system is up or
> tracking some metric about specific services then why even
> configure it
> in Nagios?
>
> $.02
>

> Dr. Dave Blunt
> Manager of Information Technology, Virage, Inc.
> 411 Borel Ave., Suite 100S
> San Mateo, CA 94402

If

http://www.inetu.net/partner/index.php