Hosts with no services?

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Thu Jun 26 14:16:05 CEST 2003

>I think I agree with Jim.  I guess I don't see why you would care if a
>system was up if you didn't care about at least one service - unless
>that 'service' is keeping the room warm.  Why not pull the power cord
>now?  If you're not responsible for making sure the system is up or
>tracking some metric about specific services then why even configure it
>in Nagios?

I monitor wireless access points. What I *really* want to know is if
traffic is being passed by the WAP, and ideally I'd be monitoring a client
behind it, but that's not possible. For me, a check_ping is sufficient to
know that traffic is going up and down the line. By pinging all the devices
in a chain, I can find out where the problem starts (even if everything
behind a dead host is dead as well, it gives me a place to start).
Honestly, our biggest problem is power surges that put switches or WAP's in
an error state that doesn't pass traffic. I'd kill for really cheap and
small UPS's that would last just 30 seconds :)

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net