problem with nrpe on redhat systems

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Thu Jun 26 02:36:30 CEST 2003

>if i run manually the check_nrpe
>/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H crotale.int-evry.fr -c check_disk2
>DISK OK [11553468 kB (30%) free on /dev/sdb1]

Given this.....

>define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ; Name
>of service template to use
>

>         host_name                       crotale.int-evry.fr
>         service_description             Espace sur /var/ftp
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  novell-admins
>         notification_interval           120
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            c,r
>         check_command
>check_nrpe!command[check_disk2]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20
>-c 10 -p /dev/sdb1
>         }

...Your check_command is wrong
It should be "check_nrpe!crotale.int-evry.fr!check_disk2"

That's how I have it in some of my service definitions, or similar:

define service{
         use                     generic-service
         host_name               huntingridge.57.AP1
         service_description     ping
         is_volatile             0
         check_period            24x7
         max_check_attempts      3
         normal_check_interval   5
         retry_check_interval    2
         contact_groups          radio-admins
         notification_interval   120
         notification_period     24x7
         notification_options    w,u,c,r
         check_command           check-huntingridge-nrpe!ping-57.AP1!20
         }

Note that "ping-57.AP1" is a service defined on the hunting ridge server's
/etc/nrpe.conf, and "check-huntingridge-nrpe" is the same as your
check_nrpe command, except with the $HOSTADDRESS$ set to a known value.
Seeing your nrpe.conf file would help tho, to know what other arguments
might need to be sent or in what order.

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net