Application daemons, start, stop, ..

John Arley Burns johnarleyburns at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 17:31:00 CEST 2003

--- Nabil Benfreha <nabil.benfreha at trema.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to Nagios, I would like to know if this
> solution allows us to control (start, stop, suspend,...)
> application processes (daemons).

Yes it does.  You do this by executing plugins, either locally or
remotely.

> Otherwise is it possible to develop
> a plugin to control my application process.

Yes, you can develop custom plugins.

Nagios is a pretty good system.  The one downside is that it is a pain
to install and configure.  Hopefully this will be fixed in 2.0 with an
install script that auto-configures the config files on "make install".
 This would mean you could get nagios up and running out of the box.
Default config install script could look for standard apps like Apache
and sendmail and if it finds them, make an entry in the config file.
Then you could go change the scripts, of course, but at least you would
have something working at the beginning.  This will help new user
adoption greatly.