check_mrtgtraf syntax

David Waldo waldo at cos.com
Tue Jun 24 18:14:54 CEST 2003

Hi Mike -

I found check_mrtgtraf a little confusing also. Checking the C source,
I found that it wants Bytes/Second:

        /* report incoming traffic in Bytes/sec */
        if (incoming_rate < 1024) {
                strcpy (incoming_speed_rating, "B/s");
                adjusted_incoming_rate = (double) incoming_rate;
        }

        /* report incoming traffic in KBytes/sec */
        else if (incoming_rate < (1024 * 1024)) {
                strcpy (incoming_speed_rating, "KB/s");
                adjusted_incoming_rate = (double) (incoming_rate / 1024.0);
        }

        /* report incoming traffic in MBytes/sec */
        else {
                strcpy (incoming_speed_rating, "MB/s");
                adjusted_incoming_rate = (double) (incoming_rate / 1024.0 /
1024.0);
        }

So I use the following check_command on our T1 line. MRTG reports the max
speed to be 1536.0 kbits/s, so I convert it to max bytes/s with

	1536 x 1024 / 8 = 196608 Bytes/s

# 'check_mrtg' command definition
# check_mrtgtraf checks simple MRTG traffic metrics
# -F: The /projects/mrtg/htdocs/router/198.76.172.1_2.log is the MRTG
#     log for our T1 conntection (1536 kbit/sec or 196608 Bytes/sec MAX).
# -e: If the file is older than N minutes old, this plug-in will issue a
#     warning and exit.
# -a: You can monitor either AVG or MAX. After looking over the MRTG logs,
#     it looks like AVG is the most meaningfull to monitor.
# -w: WARNING parameters in bytes <INPUT, OUTPUT>. 147456 is 75% of the our
#     T1 capacity (196608 Bytes).
# -c: CRITICAL parameters in bytes <INPUT, OUTPUT>. 176947 is 95% of the our
#     T1 capacity (196608 Bytes).
define command{
        command_name    check_mrtg
        command_line    $USER1$/check_mrtgtraf
-F/projects/mrtg/htdocs/router/198.76.172.1_2.log -e10 -aAVG
-w"147456,147456" -c"176947,176947"
        }

Also, the check_mrtgtraf plugin prints no output for critical or warning
states,
so I patched the source with this:

203a204
>               printf("%s\n", error_message);