__Unofficial__ patch for embedded Perl Interpeter support in Nagios 1.1 (fixes SEGV on start-up with threaded typically Linux Perls).

Wolfgang Rosenauer stark at suse.de
Tue Jun 24 13:26:07 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am writing to apologise for the attribution - Mr Farrelly's name was
> quoted in private correspondence [not from Suse] - and thank you for
> your correcting my mistakes.

if the mail sounded angry it wasn't intended.
And you don't have to call me Sir ;-)

> However, it _seems_ to me that the patch you quote will not compile on
> _unthreaded_ Perls (there will be complaints about the protos for
> xsinit(void)), and since there are still systems that don't ship with
> good threads (and therefore Perl is built without thread support on *BSD
> systems), compatability with my own and other such systems was a
> requirement. I will check this and apologise if necessary.

this is true. But we didn't do further improvements because the perl
version shipped on SuSE Linux is clear to us. So we didn't have to stick
with unthreaded perls.

> Please don't mistake this for an ungracious reply. The patches submitted
> originated from Suse full stop. They wouldn't have existed without Suse.
> I am very grateful for your company
>
>  . fixing the problem
>  . sharing the result
>  . and educating me somewhat about Perl guts.

no problem.
I wondered why this patch wasn't recognized before.
So no real reason to excuse.

CU,

   Wolfgang