Out of memory - killing nagios

Tue Jun 24 11:22:50 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank yuo for your letter and say that in my experience
Nagios is killed by the OS when the vm subsystem finds that there are
too many processes for the available memory.

You sound like you have adequate resources for Nagios (which doesn't
need to much RAM or CPU, since it's largely IO bound) itself, but there
may be too many other processes.

On this Nag installation, I use a Perl SMS client with a 5MB memory
fottprint. Should I get more than 50 of these - and I may after an SNMP
trap avalanche - on my 256/256 MB (RAM/Swap) system, the OS starts
killing processes; one of those despatched is invariably Nag.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.