check_cluster service - what's the correct "host"?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jun 23 20:25:34 CEST 2003

I implemented a simple DNS cluster check this morning.  My services file
defines a variant of my dns-service:

    define service{
            use                    dns-service

            name                   dns-cluster-service
            service_description    DNSC
            is_volatile            0
            max_check_attempts     3
            normal_check_interval  5
            retry_check_interval   1
            notification_interval  120
            check_command          check_service_cluster!2!3!/Users/nagios/etc/dnscluster.cfg

            register               0
            }

    define service{
            use                    dns-cluster-service
            host_name              ns
            contact_groups         skip
            notification_period    red
            }

and my dnscluster.cfg file identifies the elements of the cluster:

    ns;DNS Service
    drjimmy;DNS Service
    iris;DNS Service
    relay;DNS Service

This seems to work fine, but it just doesn't seem right that I need to
associate it with a real host.  Is there some way to define a virtual host
which really doesn't exist (is never checked for being up) which could be
associated with cluster services?

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro