nrpe & "Could not read request from client, bailing"

Andrew Best abest at rentokilinitial.com.au
Mon Jun 23 02:18:43 CEST 2003

Anyone know what could be causing the above error message from the nrpe
daemon?

When I run nrpe in stand alone daemon mode with debug=1 it logs:

Jun 23 09:30:36 host nrpe[9990]: Connection from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX port 25545
Jun 23 09:30:36 host nrpe[9990]: Host address checks out ok
Jun 23 09:30:36 host nrpe[9990]: Handling the connection...
Jun 23 09:30:36 host nrpe[9990]: Could not read request from client, bailing
out...
Jun 23 09:30:36 host nrpe[9990]: Connection from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX closed.

On our nagios host this is reported as:
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes. Are we allowed to connect to the host?

Interestingly, when I run nrpe from inetd it will actually respond
okay....some of the time.
Other times, it displays the same behaviour as when run in stand alone
daemon mode and we get:

CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes. Are we allowed to connect to the host?

Im leaning towards this being a SCO 5.0.X TCP problem somewhere.
When I telnet to nrpe on a redsplat box the connection stays open.
When I telnet to nrpe on a SCO box, the connection opens and then immediatly
closes.
Obviously, if the checks we do on the SCO boxes do not get the return data
within the window that the TCP session is available, it reports the
"received 0 bytes" error in Nagios.

So, the question I have, is where should I be looking to resolve this
problem?
Im wondering if its a TCP tuning problem with the SCO box, or a problem with
the way ive compiled nrpe under SCO.
Im thinking its NOT a problem with the inetd daemon on SCO since I can make
this problem appear 100% when running nrpe in daemon mode.

Anyone care to lend a hand?

cheers
Andrew

--

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received

Rentokil Initial Pty Ltd ABN 98 000 034 597 does not warrant that any
attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all
liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from
opening or using the attachments.