timing question... scheduler...

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Jun 20 05:43:55 CEST 2003

I think you ran into the same problem I ran into.
There's a setting in the main config file that held the answer.

inter_check_delay_method=s
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configmain.html#inter_check_delay_met
hod

There's a detailed description in the documentation about the algorithm
that's used to perform the 's'mart calculation.
https://sandman/manuals/Nagios/Nagios_1_0_Docs_html/checkscheduling.html#int
er_check_delay
I had about 1/3 of my low-priority services on very long check intervals.
This skewed the calculation, but thankfully, Ethan provides the formula to
use.

I calculated the inter_check_delay using an average check interval of my
normal services (the default of 5).  Feed this number into the main config
file instead of using the "s" option.  For me, it was 1.3 seconds.  At the
next restart, all services were in the queue, and scheduled to finish in the
first five minues, evenly spread out every 1.3 seconds per check.

Let us know if this fixes it for you.

"Serveur-Faucon Surveillance" <SrvFaucon at cslaval.qc.ca> wrote in message
news:sef1c8a0.016 at bp.cslaval.qc.ca...
Now, this is interesting...

With version 1.1
IF
Current Network Status
Last Updated: Thu Jun 19 14:16:27 EDT 2003

AND FOR VPPSYS service
normal_check_interval = 5

THEN WHY
 VPP sys
PENDING N/A 0d 0h 0m 27s+ 0/4 Service check scheduled for Thu Jun 19
14:35:17 2003

In other words, why Nagios is scheduling the first check later then in 5
minutes if my normal_check_interval = at 5 minutes? In here, I restarted my
Nagios service, at 14h16 and he his scheduling for 14h35. Is this normal?

Or another example...

This is the same service check, but on two different servers... it should be
cheking at each 2 minutes. So the first one is okay, the second one is
really not.

Last Check Time: 2003-06-19 14:22:28
Status Data Age: 0d 0h 1m 44s
Next Scheduled Active Check:   2003-06-19 14:24:28

Last Check Time: 2003-06-19 13:33:47
Status Data Age: 0d 0h 51m 17s
Next Scheduled Active Check:   2003-06-19 14:41:41

Any idears?

More infos...
RedHat9, Nagios v1.1

Thanks