hundreds of procs

Jason Lancaster jlancaster at affinity.com
Wed Jun 18 17:18:23 CEST 2003

Hardware depends on the frequency and types of checks you're doing, as well
as whether or not your in a distributed environment, etc. Many, many
variables. I'd emphasize the implementation of a ramdisk and tweaking the
nagios.cfg to your liking before you went through the trouble of changing
hardware.

A rough estimate... if I had a single-monitoring system running no ocsp
commands checking 91 active services on a two minute interval where the
service check is about as resource intensive as check_ping or check_tcp...
I'd use a p3 500. I have not tested it, but I believe a p3 500 would be
sufficient for a very low latency (under 5 second) service check
execution/update time implementation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jason