hundreds of procs

Williams, P. Lane Lane.Williams at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jun 18 16:51:11 CEST 2003

I see the same thing.  But I think this is the way it should be.  Nagios is
a parallel application.  I typically run with an average of 50 - 70 nagios
procs a second and sometimes peaking at 300.  System load typically runs
between 3 and 4, which for a typical server would be high.  I have Sun
Enterprise application servers that run with a load average above 10 all day
and Sun Enterprise backup servers that run with a load of 6 or higher.

I suggest running "top" and watching whats going on.  If your "iowait" is
0%, memory looks good, and the sleeping processes flucuate with on-going
processes, I'd say your running just fine.  The fact that you have a high
load average may just mean you need a newer/faster server.  I run with dual
xeons on a gig of ram, and sometimes peek my load average at 19.  The only
problems I've noticed is with the default setting of "Sendmail" rejecting
request when load is above 12.  I just reset those settings to 70 and all
looks good.

If your having problems with Nagios not completing checks in a timely
fashion, I recommend revisting your configuration.  If you have a high
number of passive checks you may need to account for that as well.

Lane