duplicate service alerts

Jason Lancaster jlancaster at affinity.com
Wed Jun 18 16:23:48 CEST 2003

I've been experiencing some strange behavior in the nagios.log and was
hoping I could have everyone's thoughts on this situation. My nagios.log
contains duplicate service alerts for most external commands. For example:
[1055945454] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;host.com;Memory;0;Memory OK - 434 MB free
[1055945231] SERVICE ALERT: host.com;Memory;OK;HARD;2;Memory OK - 434 MB
free
[1055945231] SERVICE ALERT: host.com;Memory;OK;HARD;2;Memory OK - 434 MB
free

Not all services do this and this is only with regards to external commands
(passive service checks) sent through nsca. There is only one nagios core
process running. I cannot duplicate this unless I send results through
nsca -- writing to the external commands file by hand registers only one
service alert.

Does anyone have any ideas on why nagios might be processing service alerts
sent through nsca twice? I figure this is probably eating resources on my
system and would like to resolve it.

Thanks!
Jason Lancaster