Multi-level service dependencies... not working

Tim Carr tcarr at somanetworks.com
Mon Jun 16 23:32:10 CEST 2003

Howdy.

In my setup i'm running Nagios 1.0.0, and I have only one host (the same
one that Nagios runs on), so no host dependencies.

I have a multi-level service dependency tree, eg.

  B     C
 D E   F G

(read as D "depends-upon" B, B "depends-upon" A, and also G
"depends-upon" A etc).

Now I know (from the documentation, which yes i've read many times) that
Nagios' service-dependency definitions are NOT recursive, ie if I say
that G depends upon C and C upon A, this does NOT imply G depends upon
A.  So I get around this (in this example) by writing two rules:

1. G depends upon C
2. G depends upon A

Nowhere in the documentation does it say that this (having multiple
"parents" if you will) is not allowed/possible, so I presume it's OK.

Yes, I have a lot of rules because my tree is quite large.  What
concerns me most is that this ISN'T "working".  Now let me define what I
mean by "working":  I want it to work so that when A is in a critical or
unknown state, G is not checked/monitored (and therefore G's
eventhandler is not called). I want this to be true at Nagios' startup
(I have retain_state_information=0 in my nagios.cfg), and during normal
operation.

Here's the actual erroneous situation I have encountered:

1. Nagios starts up, using above dependency tree (in dependencies.cfg).
I have engineered it so that all of the services are UP, except for A
and G which are both "down" (will return CRITICAL when monitored)
2. Nagios erroneously monitors G first, and calls G's eventhandler. Not
good! I want it to not check G until A is verified as OK!

All of my dependencies configured in dependencies.cfg have the line:
        execution_failure_criteria      u,c

So, I think what i'm doing is both valid and supposed-to-work.  All help
is very much appreciated ! :)

Thanks,

Tim Carr